Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Plato on Twin Souls


Although I am writing this blog as form of a diary and expression to my Beloved, I'm certain that as I am calling out to finding my One and Only, others will be drawn to this site in search of the same. Never before in history have we as a combined human soul been searching to "go home" or "be at home" with that special someone. Not just anyone, the One and Only one who seems to "complete" us and transform us into something brand new, like hydrogen and oxygen together create our life-giving, life-sustaining water.

The twin-soul concept is not new.

Plato described it 2,500 years ago: " ... and when one of them meets the other half, the actual half of himself, the pair are lost in an amazement of love and friendship and intimacy and one will not be out of the other's sight even for a moment... If Hephaestus, son of Zeus, were to ask the pair; 'do you desire to be wholly one, always day and night to be in one another's company? For if this is what you desire, I am ready to melt you into one and let you grow together, so that being two you shall become one, and after your death in the world beyond you will still be one departed soul instead of two — I ask whether this is what you lovingly desire?' — and there is not a man or woman of them who, when they heard the proposal, would not acknowledge that this melting into one another, this becoming one instead of two, was the very expression of their ancient need. And the reason is that human nature was original one and we were a whole, and the desire and pursuit of the whole is called love."

Plato is not the only individual who has given us insights into twin soul relationships. There are many others, such as the Sufis, Edgar Cayce, the list goes on.

The question I have to ask myself is this: "Would I rather remain a single drop of water, independent and proud to be dripping off a leaf while giving life to a little plant or would my talents be used better if I merged into the brooke, the stream, the river, the lake, and eventually unite with the big sea?"

Am I scared to lose myself if I melt with my other half and together we merge into the big sea (our light source) and have all that support? Or would I rather remain a single, little drop, alone yet independent? Where is the balance to be whole within myself, yet understanding the calling that there is so much more power when together we melt into one?

I am not scared at all. In fact I am longing and striving and intending to get to the big sea rather sooner than later. I realize that merging with my other half will multiply my lonely power by getting the "boulder rolling" much faster and with a lot more power.

I am ready for you, Beloved.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Strange, but right before I got to your thoughts after the Plato paragraph but I was wondering the exact same thing...then I came to the same conclusion as well!!

Love and light my friend
Lionel